Tuesday, March 21, 2006

DAY TWO: FAT, FAT, FAT, FAT, FAT (YUMMY)

Welcome back to the unfolding drama of Atkins II: The Second Attempt.

Breakfast was an omelet, filled with diced Hebrew National frank, chopped giant oyster mushroom, and swiss cheese. A few pieces of bacon completed the gloriously aromatic, salty, tasty, fatty meal.

I then hit Hollywood for an audition, but got some hunger pangs. So I stopped in a convenient "Jack in the Box" and smugly ordered me a Jumbo Jack, safely asking them to hold the ketchup (full of sugar and fruit) and onion (just plain stinky). I exulted in walking out with the heavy bag, and immediately removed the bun before my first bite.

Then I panicked. There were pickles and a tomato buried within the gooey yellow mass of cheese!

Strange how the smallest things can make one nuts. I recovered my composure, and carefully removed the offending vegetation and dropped them into the fast-food paper bag, along with the top and bottom of the bun. Which, by the way, weighs a good ton and a half, certainly more than the actual meat, lettuce, and mayo combined. They're not kidding in the Atkins book when they point out we eat WAY too much refined flour, clearly.

I didn't have any hunger pangs until returning home after doing three computer consulting jobs. Atkins Gal and I decided against taking 90-120 minutes to properly prepare a roast chicken, instead heading up to the local Hamburger Hamlet for what turned out to be a fine meal. In fact, I would recommend their low-carb offerings above anything else on their menu:

Bleu Cheese Burger (12 oz) with steamed veggies
Grilled salmon with equally grilled green beans and spinach

Plus this meal cost nearly 30% less than a non-Atkins-friendly one! I'm hooked. Sign me up for that giant hamburger patty again!

Day two and feeling fine. Shooting the "Drake and Josh" show tomorrow -- and I'll be trawling for meats and cheese from Kraft services all day long.

No comments: