Saturday, March 25, 2006

DAY 7: QUANTITY ISSUES

Midnight passed a few minutes ago, meaning I have entered Day 7 of Atkins Induction.

Listing my menus actually makes me a little nauseous. Today, for example, my meals lined up like this:
  • 10:00 am -- 5 oz of leftover roast chicken, with mushrooms, scallions, and lots of herbs: sage, parsley, garlic salt, black pepper, lemon juice. Also 1 oz of pan drippings, which tastes a lot like chicken soup.
  • 1 pm -- 3 eggs, 2 large shiitake mushrooms, spinach, 3 strips of bacon (chopped); 4 more oz of chicken and soup (which was simply too much food, I was uncomfortably full)
  • 9 pm -- Dinner at Hamburger Hamlet, 12oz hamburger w/ american cheese, a little blue cheese dressing, 6 oz steamed broccoli and cauliflower, three slivers of red pepper

I've also been drinking something like six cups of coffee a day, and three or four cans of Splenda-sweetened soda, with perhaps 30 ounces of water scattered throughout the hours.

My weight has been fluctuating, but I'm taking heart in the lower end of the scale. That is, the lowest measured weight is LOWER than what is usually is. For months, I've been holding steady at 192 pounds, no matter what time of day, or size of meal, or size of egestion (look it up) has been.

Today, my lowest measured weight has been 187 (just now, it is 189). This may or may not be significant, but it's at least a possible incremental indicator.

What I should be doing, though, is cutting down on QUANTITY. I still have a tendency to gorge, and I really need to at least start exercising some control over that. All the dieting in the world won't be very helpful if you exhibit the eating habits of a typical doggie. Or of a force-fed goose being raised to create a lovely rich paté.

Week 2: the goal is eating less than 250 pounds of food. I'll let you know.

No comments: